Six Safety tips to keep your children safe
Every parent wants to keep their children safe, especially at home. Below are some simple and easy steps you can take to protect your children.
Safety from fire and carbon monoxide
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms. Make sure to check the batteries every six months.
- Properly install window guards and stops to prevent window falls.
- Never leave children alone near any type of water. Make sure whoever is watching your child by water is free from distractions, such as reading or talking on the phone.
- Once bath time is over, immediately drain the tub.
- Keep toilet lids closed and keep doors to bathrooms and laundry rooms closed to prevent drowning.
- Keep medicine and vitamins up high and out of sight, and put them away after every use.
- Keep all cleaning products where children can’t see or reach them.
Preventing scalds and burns
- Don’t hold your child while cooking at the stove.
- Use the back burners of the stove, and turn the handles away from the edge.
Preventing furniture tip-overs and falls
- Use brackets or straps to mount TVs and heavy furniture to the wall to keep it from tipping over.
- Keep children strapped in to high chairs, swings, or strollers.
- Make sure your baby sleeps on her back in her own crib.
- Make sure that the only thing in a crib is a tight fitting crib sheet.