Having a baby is a joyful and exciting time. To help you have a positive birth experience, a wide variety of childbirth preparation classes are available. A childbirth class is a great way to prepare for labor and delivery.
The typical hospital class includes up to eight weekly sessions. Other class options allow students to meet fewer times with longer class sessions.
Education includes lectures, exercises, and videos of vaginal and C-section births. It is really helpful to know what to expect during labor, delivery, and recovery periods.
Classes should cover the following topics:
- Signs of labor
- Normal progress of labor and birth
- Techniques for coping with pain
- How your partner can help you during labor
- When to call your doctor or midwife
- Terminology of things you will see and/or hear during labor
The following are some of the most popular classes offered in the Intermountain Healthcare hospitals:
- Third Trimester Class ($55.00/couple)
- Lamaze Childbirth Class ($75.00/couple)
- Essential Breastfeeding Class ($20.00)
- Hypnobirthing ($150.00/couple)
- Breastfeeding Class ($20.00)
- Sibling Class ($6.00/child)
- Adoptive parenting Class ($40.00/couple)
- Postpartum Depression Support (free)
Most insurance plans do not pay for childbirth classes.